Beginning in Fall 2023, the IGNITE DAVIE College Promise program will include four short-term training programs at Davidson-Davie Community College.
Previously, IGNITE DAVIE paid for tuition and fees with a stipend for books for graduates to attend DDCC full-time in a certificate, diploma, or associate/transfer program at either campus.
Now IGNITE DAVIE students will have the option to enroll in a 16-week program for Electrical, HVAC, Nursing Assistant 1, or Phlebotomy, which will allow them to quickly start a career in an in-demand field or complete the first step of a certification program.
“This is a new, expanding opportunity that we believe will appeal to students who aren’t considering college because they want or need to join the workforce right after graduation,” said Carolyn McManamy, director of DavieCONNECT. “Last year, 25% of Davie High’s graduating class enrolled at DDCC through IGNITE DAVIE. We hope to reach additional students by offering them the ability to work and also go to school part-time to learn the marketable skills local employers are looking for now.”
McManamy considers the short-term training programs a win-win for the community. “IGNITE DAVIE is an investment in our students and at the same time, it is an investment in Davie County. Short Term Training programs are not covered by traditional financial aid so including them in the IGNITE DAVIE program allows us to help more students secure a solid career path. We are providing our students with the opportunity for more education and training as well as developing our own talent pipeline to meet the needs of our business and industry.”
She shared the details about each program:
An electrical apprentice assists with the maintenance and repair of electrical equipment, motors, and pumps. At the end of this course, an apprentice should be able to read and interpret circuit diagrams, construction drawings, and service and repair manuals.OSHA 10 training is provided during this course.
The average hourly salary is $13-$18 dollars per hour. This is an excellent introductory course into Davidson-Davie’s curriculum Industrial Systems Technology program. The course can be completed in 16 weeks.
Students learn the basic refrigeration cycle, thermostat wiring, superheat and subcooling, and sequence of HVAC operation, with an emphasis on safety protocols. Upon completion, students will be able to identify the basic components of the HVAC system as well as pressure, temperature relations, installation, and copper tubing and soldering.
This course can lead to technician helper and commercial installation installer jobs. A technician helper’s average starting wage is $13-15 per hour. A commercial installer can earn $40,000-50,000 a year.
This is a great introductory course for students to transition into Davidson-Davie’s HVAC curriculum program, which leads to a certificate and diploma. This course takes 16 weeks to complete.
Nursing Assistant I
Nursing assistants and home health aides are among the fastest-growing, most in-demand healthcare jobs in the nation and provide dependable, flexible employment. Nursing Assistant training is an extensive, state-approved course that includes instruction in classroom theory and supervised clinical experience. Students must be 17 years of age on the first day of class, pass criminal background checks and drug screens, and provide documentation of required immunizations in order to meet the requirements of hospitals and other clinical sites.
Nursing Assistants’ hourly range is between $13-$17. As a CNA, you can take the next step and become a nurse, another profession that is expected to see future growth. This course takes 16 weeks to complete.
Phlebotomists are in high demand. This profession is a great entry point into the healthcare field. This course prepares individuals to obtain blood and other specimens for the purpose of laboratory analysis. Coursework includes proper specimen collection and handling, communication skills, and maintaining patient data.
Phlebotomy average salary is $14-$19 per hour. Most phlebotomists work in hospitals, physician’s offices, or labs. This course takes 16 weeks to complete.
Apply Today! IGNITE DAVIE’s Fall 2023 Application is Now Open!
The IGNITE DAVIE College Promise program’s application for Fall 2023 is open from now until June 1, 2023. The eligibility requirements and application process for the part-time short-term programs will be the same as for the full-time certificate, diploma, or associate/transfer program. For more information about these programs or the application process, contact Ashley O’Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336.751.2885.
- Reside in Davie County with the award prorated based on continuous enrollment in a Davie County school
- Graduate from a high school or a registered homeschool program in Davie County beginning with the Class of 2020
- Complete the IGNITE DAVIE application, the FAFSA application, the Davidson-Davie Community College application, and apply for Davie Community Foundation or designated DDCC short-term training scholarships
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 college GPA and successfully complete at least 2/3 of credit hours attempted each semester for continued eligibility (no minimum high school GPA required) * If a student begins classes at Davidson-Davie Community College and then drops out of school after tuition and fees are paid by IGNITE DAVIE, the student is no longer eligible for the IGNITE DAVIE program.
- Use the award within three years of high school graduation
- Participate in “Career Connections” through career readiness training and experiences with local business and industry each year
- Volunteer in the community 5 hours each semester
- Maintain updated information in the IGNITE DAVIE Web Portal
- Complete/ Update FAFSA information each year
- Student must be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident